There could be nothing more difficult than to manage a crying baby. Parents often panic and fumble for things to cheer up their little one, but in vain. Before meeting the demands of their baby, parents should first learn how to deal with their own feelings.
Certainly, it could get irksome for a parent to calm a crying baby, but the only way to stop a cranky child is to help the baby to stop crying. Don’t forget that your baby is helpless and has the least ways to express its needs.
Tips to deal with yourself:
- Stay calm. Don’t blame yourself for the crying child. Reduce your anxiety by trying to convey a sense of comfort to your baby.
- Look into the needs of the baby and reassure yourself of meeting all the demands of your child. Sometimes this may not work. In that case, you need to think of alternative ways to calm your child.
- Tell yourself that you can handle the situation. For example, you could sing a lullaby to your baby or make polite conversation with your child.
- Try patting or rocking them to comfort and ease.
- Try using the best resources available, to calm your child and never shy away from doing so, even if you’re in public.
- Follow your instincts and give the care your baby demands from you.
- You can help this situation so never give up or get angry at your crying child.
Your crying baby actually tries to communicate his or her needs to you. It maybe difficult to arrive at a consensus with the demands of your child but whenever such a situation occurs, ask yourself these valid questions.
- Is it the wet diapers?
- Is it hunger?
- Is your baby gassy?
- Is your child tired?
- Or is your baby over stimulated?
These questions will lead you to an array of tips to comfort your distressed child. Take away these tips to manage a crying baby.
Tips to deal with your crying child:
- If it is a wet diaper then change the baby into fresh and new clothes. Wet diapers can cause discomfort as they feel itchy, wet or hot.
- If you think that it’s been a while that you have fed your baby and that the gap could have caused the crying then feed the hungry child.
- If your child is crying due to gas then stroke the stomach downwards or try mylicon drops. Boiled water with sugar also helps. Finally, carry your baby upwards and go for a walk to ease the discomfort in your child’s tummy.
- If tired the baby expresses it’s helplessness to sleep by crying. Carry your baby to a calm room and gently stroke it to eventually fall off to sleep.
- For over stimulated cranky babies, white noise works effectively. This helps them to focus and relax. Sources of white noise could be fish tanks, vacuum, washing machines, and fans.
Your baby could be conveying something very important so never ignore a crying child. Instead, be as comforting and helpful to your baby. If nothing works, keep stroking your child gently till sleep takes over. Till then maintain your calm.