Advantages and Disadvantages of Milk
Milk has been one of the most widely consumed foods for a long time. However, some recent studies have reported that milk may not be benefiting us much, or may even be harming us. Are you confused as to whether or not to give your child milk and milk related products? Are you confused whether you can consume milk and related products? If you are, here is a list of the advantages and disadvantages of milk, so that you can decide for yourself what to do.
Advantages of milk
- Milk provides your child with Calcium and Phosphorous. Packaged milk is also fortified with Vitamin D. This helps your child maintain strong bones and teeth. It also helps prevent diseases which occur as a result of Vitamin D deficiency.
- Milk is an important source of high quality protein. Protein helps your child in growth and repair of tissues in his/her body.
- Growing children need fat to give them energy, as kids are highly active. Milk has a decent amount of fats.
- Lactose in milk removes harmful bacteria from the intestines and helps them function properly.
- Milk consumption has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, type-2 diabetes, colon cancer and obesity in recent studies.
- If your child drinks milk, he/she is less likely to drink carbonated soft drinks, which are harmful for your child .
Disadvantages of milk
- Milk proteins are of two types, whey protein and casein. Sometimes, milk might contain some harmful casein elements which might increase risk of heart disease and contribute to intestinal issues in children with autism.
- Some children may be allergic to casein in milk, which will lead severe reactions.
- Some children have lactose intolerance. This is due to lack of lactase in their stomachs, which is required to digest milk. Such children will have reactions when they drink milk.
- Pollutants in milk pose a health hazard to your child. Recently, milk powder manufactured in China was found to contain melamine, which can cause cancer.
- Some recent studies show that milk might actually be taking calcium away from bones. These findings still need further research.